So here we go again, sifting through some 345 wines attempting to find some sure-fire wine bargains in the latest BevMo 5-Cent Sale. The sale is currently in full swing as of the date of this post. By and large, it seems to be the same fare offered with a few additions. As usual there are many obscure labels rated by only Wilfred Wong and no other wine critic. Well, maybe I found a couple of wines that had ratings by W.S. or W.E. or somebody else. If you dig deep enough, there are a handful of excellent values.
In the current sale, these are the wines that we can recommend based on past purchases and tastings. The listed prices are for the average cost of one bottle when you buy two bottles.
- Bonterra Rose 09 – $7.02
- Buena Vista Caneros Pinot Noir 08* – $11.52
- DeLoach Chardonnay Sonoma County 09 – $9.02
- Donovan-Parke Pinot Noir 09 – $7.52
- Guenoc Lillie’s Claret 09 – $10.02
- Hendry’s Drive Dead Letter Shiraz 07 – $15.02
- Hogue Genesis Chardonnay – $7.52
- Montgras Cabernet Franc 10 – $9.02
- Montgras Cabernet/Syrah 09 – $9.02
- Pillar Box Shiraz Reserve 09 – $10.02
- Rock Rabbit Sauvignon Blanc 10 – $6.02
- Rosenblum Zinfandel Paso Robles 07 – $9.02
- Santa Rita Coleccion Cabernet 07 – $7.52
- Sextant Zinfandel Central Coast 08 – $7.52
- Tapiz Malbec 10 – $7.52
- Vigilance Cimarron 09 – $10.02
- Zolo Gaucho Select Bonarda 08 – $8.02
* Trader Joe’s has a deal on this wine for $9.99 a bottle.
Best Strategy for Successful BevMo 5-Cent Shopping
Labels like Powder Keg may be good, but where else are they sold but BevMo? BevMo has an exclusive (Vineyard Partner) arrangement with the producer. Check the Cellar Tracker for reviews from other wine drinkers. Check Wine-Searcher to compare prices. For many of the BevMo labels, you will not find competitors.
Go to your BevMo store with a friend and buy the wines together. This way you don’t get stuck with an extra bottle of wine that turned out not to be to your liking.
Read my past blog posts on more about the BevMo 5-Cent Sale
Please help out fellow readers by adding a comment on wines you like or don’t like that are part of the current BevMo 5 Cent Sale.